Gdańsk Photo
Main menu


Organizing Committee

Chair
Prof. Dr habil. Małgorzata Latałowa

Members
Dr Monika Badura
Dr Anna Pędziszewska
Dr Joanna Święta-Musznicka
MSc Marcelina Zimny (Secretary)
MSc Katarzyna Pińska
MSc Dawid Weisbrodt

Laboratory of Palaeoecology
and Archaeobotany

Department of Plant Ecology
University of Gdańsk
Al. Legionów 9
80-441 Gdańsk, Poland
Phone/fax: 48 58 341 20 16
email: archaeobotany.ug@ug.edu.pl

Polish Association
for Environmental Archaeology
Dr habil. Mirosław Makohonienko
Dr habil. Daniel Makowiecki

Archaeological Museum
in Gdańsk

Director Henryk Paner

Registration, room reservation, payment
Katarzyna Sroślak-Janasiewicz
FRUG, ul. Polanki 66
80-306 Gdańsk, Poland
Phone 1: +48 58 552 03 53
Phone 2: +48 58 520 95 14
Phone/fax: +48 58 552 37 06
email: frugksj@univ.gda.pl

Gdańsk

Gdańsk lies on the southern coast of Gdańsk Bay (Baltic Sea), in the mouth of the Vistula River. To the west it borders with the morainic upland (Kashubian Lake District) formed by the activity of the last glacial ice-sheet and its melting waters - large patches of natural forests, lakes and peat bogs are characteristic for the landscape.

Gdańsk is a city with a thousand-year history. The defensive and settlement complex started to form in the 10th century. Its location at the crossing of important commercial routes and the ubiquitous occurrence of the raw material and amber products were among the most important factors for the dynamic development of trade and various craft guilds pushing the city to the leading position in the region. In the 13th century Gdańsk was granted town rights. In 1308 it was seized by the Teutonic Knights and remained under their rule until 1454. In 1361 Gdańsk joined the Union of Hanseatic Cities and was known as “the old lion of the mighty Hansa”. The city flourished under the Polish rule in the years 1454-1772 and was recognized in Europe as a melting pot of cultures, nations and tongues, forming a unique community of diversity.


phot. M. Zimny

After several wars and partitions of Poland, in 1793 Gdańsk was annexed to Prussia. In 1919 the Free City of Gdańsk was established under the Treaty of Versailles. On 1st September 1939, with the start of the Second World War, the Nazis took over the city, and then, in 1945 Gdańsk was completely ruined by the Soviet army. Its reconstruction took several dozen years. In modern history, Gdańsk became a symbol of the fight of Poles against the communist regime, and the cradle of “Solidarność” which transformed the political map of Europe. Contemporary Gdańsk is the capital of the Pomeranian Region and, together with Gdynia and Sopot, forms the so-called Tri-City. It is renowned for its shipbuilding and tourism as well as being a major academic and cultural centre.

After the political and economic transformations of the early 1990s, a new phase in the re-arrangement of Gdańsk’s historical centre began. The continued presence of vacant lots within the boundaries of the historical town enables large-scale archaeological salvage operations prior to new developments. Since 1998, the team of the Laboratory of Palaeoecology and Archaeobotany (Dept. of Plant Ecology, University of Gdańsk) has detailed archaeobotanical material from 27 sites in different parts of the city. Due to the uniform methods applied to the same types of cultural layers and archaeological features, we have data which can be compared between the sites and periods, on both qualitative and quantitative levels. Our main projects concern:

1 Useful plants in Gdańsk’s history
2 Environmental changes in the area of Gdańsk during the last 1500 years
3 Development of anthropogenic flora and vegetation in historical Gdańsk


phot. Z. Polak